Personal financial situation

Oct 3, 2011

Q, Over the next 12 months do you think your personal financial situation will get better, get worse or stay much the same?

28 Jun

10

18 Oct

10

4 April

11

4 Jul

11

3 Oct

11

Vote

Labor

Vote

Lib/Nat

Vote

Greens

Total better 29% 33% 32% 28% 24% 30% 23% 32%
Total worse 31% 29% 31% 36% 41% 27% 52% 35%
Get a lot better 5% 6% 7% 5% 4% 6% 3% 7%
Get a little better 24% 27% 25% 23% 20% 24% 20% 25%
Get a little worse 21% 21% 22% 23% 27% 16% 34% 29%
Get a lot worse 10% 8% 9% 13% 14% 11% 18% 6%
Stay much the same 37% 32% 32% 32% 32% 41% 24% 31%
No opinion 4% 5% 5% 3% 3% 2% 1% 2%

Twenty four per cent (24%) of respondents believe that their personal financial situation will get a lot better (4%) or a little better (20%) in the next 12 months.  A larger proportion of respondents believe that their personal financial situation will get a little worse (27%) or a lot worse (14%) over the next 12 months (41% total worse).

Compared to 12 months ago, individual optimism over personal financial situations has weakened, falling from 33% (total better) in October 2010 to 24% (total better).

The proportion of respondents believing their personal financial situation will get worse over the next 12 months has risen 12% from 29% (total worse) in October 2010 to 41% (total worse).

Greens voters are the most likely to believe that their personal financial situation will get better over the next 12 months (32% total better), whereas Coalition voters are the most likely to believe that theirs will get worse (52% total worse).