Support for Carbon Pricing Scheme

Sep 19, 2011

Q. Do you support or oppose the Government’s proposal to introduce a carbon pricing scheme from 1 July 2012, which will require industries to pay a tax based on the amount of carbon pollution they emit?

7 March 14 March 28 March 18 April 23 May 30 May 14 June 11 July 18 July 1 Aug Total Vote Labor Vote Lib/Nat Vote Greens
Total support 35% 38% 34% 39% 41% 38% 38% 35% 39% 39% 37% 67% 13% 76%
Total oppose 48% 49% 51% 49% 44% 48% 49% 53% 49% 51% 52% 22% 80% 14%
Strongly support 9% 12% 12% 13% 14% 14% 13% 11% 15% 15% 14% 31% 2% 34%
Support 26% 26% 22% 26% 27% 24% 25% 24% 24% 24% 23% 36% 11% 42%
Oppose 19% 17% 19% 15% 15% 19% 19% 19% 16% 19% 17% 13% 23% 8%
Strongly oppose 29% 32% 32% 34% 29% 29% 30% 34% 33% 32% 35% 9% 57% 6%
Don’t know 18% 13% 15% 12% 15% 15% 13% 12% 12% 10% 12% 12% 7% 10%

The majority of respondents are opposed to the Government’s carbon pricing scheme, with 52% either opposed or strongly opposed to its introduction.   Opposition to the scheme has moved up 1% since the last time the question was polled on 1 August 2011.   Total opposition has moved up by 4% since the Government announced the scheme six months ago, from 48% total oppose to 52% total opposed.

Total support for the scheme is 37%, down 2% from 39% since the last time the question was asked on 1 August 2011.  However, overall, support has risen by 2% in the six months since the Government’s announcement, from 35% to 37% total support.

Twelve per cent (12%) of respondents ‘don’t know’, up 2% from 1 August 2011, but down 6% since the announcement six months ago.

Those aged 18-24 years old are the most likely to support the scheme (46% total support).  Those aged 55-64% are the most likely to oppose it (59% total oppose).

Sign up for updates

Receive the Essential Report in your inbox.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.